Monday, August 9, 2010

Song Highlight: Refuge

For our song of reflection this week, we turned once again to the music of Sojourn Community Church. "Refuge" is a song that highlights the hope that the people of God have even when they are surrounded by the forces of darkness.

In our study of Abraham this week (Genesis 18:16-33), we encountered Abraham's plea to spare the city of Sodom for the sake of the righteous people living there. Abraham is concerned that, when the city is eventually consumed by fire, God will not spare the righteous. However, at the conclusion of their conversation, God tells Abraham that if 10 righteous people are found, he will not destroy the city. Thus, God shows Abraham his unwavering devotion to his people.

Our world today resembles the ancient city of Sodom more than we realize. And we know from scripture that one day, judgment will be rendered and this world will be destroyed. But, unlike Abraham, we do not have to fear. Our sins have been washed white by the blood of Jesus Christ. So when the day of judgment comes, we will be judged as righteous. And we know from this passage that God cares and provides for his people. There is no need to fear.

Reflect on this truth as you listen to the song below.



Lyrics:

Unto your hands, O God of truth, my spirit I commit
You have redeemed my soul from death and saved me from the pit
The passions of my hope and fear maintain a doubtful strife
While sorrow, pain, and sin conspire to take away my life

I know my days are in your hands
Though I draw near to dust
You are the God in whom I trust
You are my refuge

So lift up your voice and sing aloud
And praise him, all you saints
How wondrous is his grace
He is our refuge

Make your most beloved face to shine upon me now
And save me for your mercy's sake, for I am lost without
While in my haste I'm quick to say, "Where is your help for me?"
But you attend me when I pray, and you have heard my plea

No comments:

Post a Comment