Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Song Highlight: Only Your Blood Is Enough

This week, we introduced another song from the music ministry of Sojourn Community Church called "Only Your Blood Is Enough." What makes this song unique is the rawness of its lyrics. "Only Your Blood Is Enough" fully acknowledges that without the blood of Jesus Christ, we are hopeless. Utterly hopeless.

The song itself lifts phrases right out of scripture to describe our depraved condition: "conceived in sin," "defiled in every part," to name a few. But while these lyrics appear to paint a dismal picture of life, there is still hope in this song. The bridge takes dramatic lyrical turn--asking God to recreate our hearts. All of the aforementioned lyrics of confession and repentance culminate in a prayer for renewal and recreation. And the song ends declaring that "no bleeding bird, no bleeding beast, no hyssop branch, no priest, no running brook, no flood, no sea can wash away this stain from me."

What can wash away this stain? Only the blood of Jesus. What a magnificent, uplifting truth to proclaim day after day. Reflect on this truth as you listen to the song below.



Lyrics:

I am ashamed, conceived in sin, I've always been
Born in a world where Adam's fall corrupts us
Rooted is the seed of death in life's first breath
The Law demands a perfect heart, but I'm defiled in every part

For only your blood is enough to cover my sin
For only your blood is enough to cover me

All this guilt disturbs my peace, I find no release
Who will save me from my crime? I'm helpless
Behold, I fall before your face in need of grace
So speak to me in a gentle voice, for in your mercies I rejoice

Lord, create my heart anew (Father, come and make us wise)
Only you are pure and true (Lead us away from our demise)
Lord, you are the remedy (For only your blood can set us free)
Only your blood can set us free, only your blood can set us free

No bleeding bird, no bleeding beast, no hyssop branch, no priest
No running brook, no flood, no sea can wash away this stain from me

No comments:

Post a Comment